Friday 20 September 2013

Skinny Dipping in the North Sea at Sun Rise ...




On Sunday at sunrise, I will be running
naked into the North Sea … !?   Sunday 22nd September marks the Autumn Equinox and I will be running towards the sun in celebration of this and of my body ...


I won’t be alone; I’ll be joining potentially hundreds of other people at an event supported by the National Trust and the Mental Health Charity, MIND.   

It's not too late to sign up & join in ... !?!   If you'd like to find out more information about the Skinny Dip, please check out the 'North East Skinny Dip 2013' link here ...

For me, this event is both a personal challenge and also a way of raising awareness of body acceptance and challenging the cultural attitudes of bodies as objects which should look good.  And as the organisers state; “This event isn’t about looking good; It’s about taking a risk, celebrating our unique bodies & being close to nature , raising money for charity and even maybe breaking a world record!”

It comes 5 years into my PhD journey, which has also been personally challenging and academically enlightening.  Researching eating disorders, I've concluded how important our embodied experience is ... not just for those with eating disorders, but for everyone.  To live fully and experience life and ourselves completely, we need to have a congruent and accepting relationship with our own bodies.

As someone with a past history of eating disorders myself, who has consequently experienced a troubled relationship with my own body, this feels like the apex of my own journey towards bodily and self acceptance ... & for those who know me, the challenge of running into the icy North Sea at a September sunrise is a huge one too


I'll be writing more about the thoughts that led to me accepting this challenge later today ... before sharing my experience of actually achieving it on Sunday ...

No comments:

Post a Comment