Thursday 16 May 2013

A life can change in an instant ...

This post has been inspired by my recent burn injury to my hand.  Although it was a relatively minor injury, it's made me think about how quickly life can be changed.  And also how even losing full use of a small body part (even just on a temporary basis) can impact someone's life.

In less than a second, two of my fingers were quite severely burned.  My middle finger has now fully recovered (other than a red scar), but six weeks on, my index finger is still causing me pain and limiting some of the things I can do with my hand.  I'm also still visiting the hospital for regular physiotherapy to ensure the developing scar tissue doesn't restrict my finger's movement.

Hospital visits and physio exercises all take up time and emotional energy.  They can be extra things to fit into  an already busy life.  Not knowing how the injury is going to heal creates its own uncertainties.

Depending on the location or severity of the injury, scarring can be a real cause for concern for some people.  And some injuries can prove to be life changing as a result of scarring and any resulting injury.  I was thinking here mostly about physical injuries to external body parts.  But there's also head injury to consider.  A serious head injury can cause a person's personality or cognitive ability to change irrevocably.

I'm also mindful of internal injuries, which maybe aren't visible to other people, but can have a devastating impact on the quality of life of the person who has experienced it.  And sometimes, these injuries are most difficult for other people to comprehend.  It's easier to commiserate with someone who has a visible injury.

Most accidents occur in a split second.  And yet the consequences, of serious accidents, can last a life time.  They're things we don't plan for, and so are completely unprepared when they do happen.  We have to cope with the shock initially, as well as the physical pain.

I also think that sometimes, the emotional consequences of serious (and not so serious) injuries and illnesses get neglected or forgotten about.  Externally, the person may look well again, but maybe emotionally, they're still suffering.  Even if they're not fully healed or well, other people quite often tend to focus on the physical well-being and healing process.  And if this is going well, it's easy to assume that everything is okay.  But maybe the individual is still experiencing emotional pain, which isn't so easily seen.  Any physical trauma our bodies go through can affect our emotional well-being.

As a counsellor, I've always been mindful of checking out how the client I'm working with is experiencing their injury or illness.  I always recognise that it's important to enable them to share and explore their own experience to help them recognise the implications of it for them.

This is also an example of how I, as a counsellor, reflect on my own personal life experiences and consider what I can learn from them which might be of benefit for clients I work with.  Anything that happens to me, can potentially happen to someone else ... if not in the same way, then in a similar way.  Consequently, there's always something that I can learn from my own life and its experiences which will help others.  Reflecting on myself and my experiences allows me to develop my own self understanding, which I can then turn back out onto helping other people understand themselves better.

In this way, counselling is a very reflective and reflexive way of working and understanding oneself, others and the world; and helping others to understand themselves and their world.  And as I help my clients improve their self understanding, I take things away from each encounter to reflect upon, which further help me to understand myself, and my world ... and so the process continues ...


Our bodies are from where we experience our selves, our lives and the world, and so any injury or change to our body can have a huge impact on how we experience ourselves and how we live our lives ...

No comments:

Post a Comment